31 August 2011

A Painting A Week No 92


















For Sale - 31st August 2011  
[SOLD]
NZ Pohutakawa
Size: 21 x 15cm
Price A$90
(Postage and handling included)

Its a sure sign of summer and that Christmas is just around the corner in New Zealand, when these beautiful trees burst into bloom. The pohutukawa (also known as the NZ Christmas Tree) grows in coastal areas, and is commonly found with its gnarly distorted trunks spreading over the sand in every direction. 

The tree is deeply rooted in Maori history and the word 'pohutakawa' translates to 'red feathered headdress'. It was often planted in memory of a chief or the birth of a chief's son.

The crimson flower, which must surely be an emotional icon to those Kiwi's living overseas, is featured strongly in many NZ artworks. I don't think I ever really appreciated the beauty and the uniqueness of the pohutakawa until I'd been living overseas for years!

I've rediscovered some photos of pohutukawas which I took a few years ago when staying in Tinopai, on the Kaipara Harbour in New Zealand. I spent a week there all alone with just my camera and paints to keep me company, hence lots of photos;  pohutukawas plus many of the interesting patterns left by the tides, and also some of the amazing formations and colours of the rocks near the water.  I've included them all on my  Picasaweb photo site .https://picasaweb.google.com/111353970085495585185/NewZealandPohutukawaAndTextures

If you would like to buy this painting, please click on the following link to my Art Weekly Online Shop, or if you'd rather deal with me direct, please email me at either jackiesinfrance@hotmail.com or jackie@jackiesherwood.com.

2 comments: