27 August 2012

Post No6 - 2002 Trip - Back to the Ligurian Coast

Now onto the next leg of our trip. After leaving Lake Como we scooped up another Australian friend, Peter from Milan Airport and continued down to one of our favourite bases for the Cinque Terre and Portfino area, Moneglia. 
 The next few days were spent exploring the Cinque Terre villages again, with lots more photos to add to my collection. Seems I'll be painting Cinque Terre for many years to come.  Riomaggiore is always interesting and this time we clambered up the hill above the town, where we found a stunning mural on the wall of the Townhall, which I've photographed in pieces.


We also walked the gentle path alongside the sea between Riomaggiore and Manorola, then made our way to Vernazza, leaving the Australians to check out the other two villages.

One sad thing this time though, was my favourite village of Vernazza. I hadn't realised just how much damage this lovely village had suffered in a huge landslide the previous October. There was work going on furiously everywhere, and it did look as though every effort was being made to get it back into shape as soon as possible. I'm sure the tourist dollars helped too.
Despite the devastation, at the other end of the village, it was business as usual at the port, despite many flooded buildings and the sound of jackhammers......
  and time to relax a bit after all the walking....
At the risk of making this blog far too long, I can't possibly leave out Portofino. Just to round that corner on the ferry and see the coloured buildings and boats tucked into its tiny harbour makes another visit more than worthwhile. There is something that gets me every time we visit, and I just can't stop taking photos from every angle. I know it can't change that much surely, but there always seems to be something I haven't seen before!





No comments:

Post a Comment